Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

I have an 8 year old mini schnauzer who is having some weird

I have an 8 year old mini schnauzer who is having some weird health issues. When he stands, he often quickly sits down like something is bothering him in his rear area. He has a mild hot spot near his tail. Today when we were out for a walk, he started barking at some dogs and then started having a tremor (mostly back half of body). I grabbed as he appeared to be about to collapse to the ground. I brought him home, and he was able to stand. He doesn't want to stand very long. He seems like something is bothering his rear area (as mentioned above). He is eating and drinking normal. He has normal bowel movements. Any suggestions?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Champ is not feeling well. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was he going to collapse from the back end or appeared overall weak?
2- Is he rubbing his butt on the floor?
3- Has he been gnawing/licking at the hot spot?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I think it looked to be mostly from the back end.

2. No. He starts to walk and then puts his tail down and sits really fast. It looks like something bit in the butt. It is a very odd reaction. He doesn't seem to be in pain when it happens, but does seem bothered by whatever is going on.

3. Yes.

4. None that I am aware of. He has had these weird tremors before but it has always been when he is asleep. His entire back end starts flopping up and down. He always stops when I pick him up. I have always assumed he is dreaming. He has never had any other major health issues. He is active and is eating etc.

1- Can you look at his butt area and see if there is any swelling on the skin next to or around the anal sphincter?

I will have an answer for you within 5-10 minutes after receiving the response to the above question. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There doesn't appear to be any swelling. He does have a mole just below that area (half inch below). It has been there for a year or two.

Donna, the description of Champ's symptoms is consistent with having full anal glands. Dogs have two anal glands inside their rectum and sometimes the ducts that drain the fluid becomes occluded, when this happens the glands become full and can be uncomfortable. This will cause the dog to have that weird intermittent movement of the hind limbs. This also explains the hotspot in the area near bye as he is trying to lick the area.
I would recommend to have him checked by your vet's office to express his anal glands, this is done within minutes for a small fee. In the meantime, for the hot spot this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian to express his anal glands.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Thank you for your excellent rating.
Hi Donna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Champ. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter