Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

noises in stomach, lack ok appetite, general depression

Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Lizzie is not feeling well. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, coughing or diarrhea?
3- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
4- Besides the pepto bismol is she on any medications?
5- Is she spayed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Happens off and on; this time, it has lasted about a week. Normally pepto
fixes it.

2. Diarrhea, in her crate and several times a day, noises in her stomach as of today.

3. yes

4. Triflexis

5. Yes

Jo, the noises in her stomach are created by a combination of gas from not eating and the contraction of the smooth muscles in the intestines. Her not eating and being lethargic is a sign of not feeling well. The main concern in her symptoms is that she is drinking more than usual. You see Jo, Lizzie drinking more than usual is a sign of either an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. All of these diseases share the same symptoms. The diarrhea can also be secondary to any of these disease.
On history alone it will be very difficult to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause, Lizzie will need your family veterinarian to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, it can make certain conditions worst. Instead, start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- Offer her a bland diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
3- Follow up with your family veterinarian. If cost is a concern consider having her checked by your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter