Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

Wheezing fast breathing after much running and swimming in

Wheezing fast breathing after much running and swimming in sound water. Threw up se real times much water. Not interested In eating. What should we do?
Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Is Sally still vomiting, or did she vomit several times and then stop?

Was it salt water she was swimming in?

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has not thrown up for several hours and has consumed some water without vomiting. The water is the Pamlico Sound , salty near a boat ramp that may have some residue from two cycle motor. She ran quite a bit.
Thanks for your reply and additional information. These symptoms are common in dogs that swallow salty water. Commonly, dogs that swallow salty water can develop irregular, distressed breathing, vomiting, and diarrhea. The symptoms will usually resolve on their own. It is important to have her drink plenty of regular water, so she does not become dehydrated. Salt water can lead to dehydration, especially if vomiting or diarrhea is occurring. You can give over the counter famotidine (Pepcid AC) at 0.5mg per pound of body weight, every 12 hours to help with any left-over stomach upset. Otherwise, just encourage fresh water intake, and she should be fine. Certainly, if the symptoms continue or worsen, she may have ingested so much salt water that she needs additional treatment at a veterinary clinic (ER clinic, or on-call veterinarian).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help you and Sally further.
Dr. Dave