Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

I have a 100 pound labradoodle that has been scratching an

Customer Question

I have a 100 pound labradoodle that has been scratching an biting on his legs to the point where it is raw. I know my vet had said in the past that dogs can have Benadryl but I don't know what the dosage should be.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Rudy is having skin problems. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going?
2- What are you feeding him?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It's been going on about a week now. He eats Science Diet Large Breed Light along with a can of green beans daily.

Kitty, the raw skin on his paws is called pododermatitis which is inflammation/infection of the paws. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking/gnawing at paws or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to soak his paws for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day.

3- After soaking paws as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 2 tablets every 12 hours.

5- For fleas you can use both Frontline once a month and Capstar once every other day for 2 weeks. In addition, make certain the vacuum premises.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks. It's only on one leg that he is causing to be raw. it's not actually his paws. I also noticed a spot at the base of his tail that had a scab. That may have been from previous flea bites, but it is not raw. I will do what you suggested.

Thank you for the additional information. The above recommendations should resolve the problem in that paw. You can also wash the base of the tail with the above soap and apply topical antibiotic.

Your Welcome.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Thank you for your excellent rating.