Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

my dog got into sharps container and ate syringe with partial

my dog got into sharps container and ate syringe with partial dose of paliperidone (Invega) 117 mg antipsychotic injection. What reaction might occur. She is not symptomatic. How will this clear since it is IM and was taken orally?
Hi there,
The medication your dog ingested can be active if taken orally, so your dog may experience some side effects. Fortunately, most of these drugs work at a much lower level in dogs than they do in people, and this is a small dose.

You may see changes in her metabolism. Sometimes, blood sugar can shoot up very high and suddenly crash. Monitor her for signs of being very thirsty (constantly in the water bowl), loss of appetite, being sluggish or difficult to rouse, or being shaky.

Some drugs in this class can also cause the death of a particular type of white blood cell, neutrophils, that fight infections, up to 2 weeks after the medication was ingested. You may wish to take her to the vet to monitor her blood for changes and make sure she doesn't get an infection.

I would also be concerned that she might have eaten part of the syringe itself. If she is vomiting or not eating, she should go to the vet right away.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how else I can help.