Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Im not sure if my dog was stung in the foot by a scorpion.

Customer Question

I'm not sure if my dog was stung in the foot by a scorpion. He is licking the site, he's pretty quiet right now but he did yelp when the incident happened. Do we take him to the vet or can we give him human Benadryl. If so how much? I just want to make sure if I don't take him and he seems sluggish, if that's normal because he is recovering or because his heart is slowing down. He is a skipper key, miniature schnauzer, toy fox terrier, shitzu mix. Really freaking out, 3 members in my family have been stung already. We live in Las Vegas and get those small, sand colored ones...
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Luckily, the sting of scorpions, even the small sand colored ones do not have enough toxin to cause anything more severe than an allergic reaction unless your guy suffers an anaphylactic reaction to this. This would show as difficulty breathing, extreme lethargy and depression.

In most cases, they will respond to:

1. Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs.

2. Apply cold compresses to this area of the foot to keep it from swelling and decrease the blood flow to this area so the toxin is released slowly. Do this for 3 minutes every 2-3 hrs after it has happened.

3. Apply a cortisone creme such as Cortaid to this area of the foot and wrap it if at all possible.

Watch your guy closely for the next 4-6 hrs for any signs of a reaction...this is very unlikely but has been known to happen...if you see anything that worries you, contact me right away or take him to your vet.

Like I said, in most cases, this will resolve without any harm to your guy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would an ant bite have the same effect/symptoms, because we have red ants in our backyard too. I just wish I could be sure of what stung him. He is so quiet right now, wish he could tell us what's going on lol. If the Benadryl kicks in, how long will he be in and out of sleep mode for? Hoping he will just be resting but can't help but think worst case scenario. If this is common and you believe he will be fine, I will trust in that but has any small dog ever die from a scorpion sting? Thank you so much for all your help!
I have had my dog bitten by multiple red ants in an ant hill and this is very painful. The treatment is the since they will both cause an allergic reaction.

It is always safest to take your dog to the vet even if you only suspect that he has been stung by a scorpion....the nocturnal ones in the desert have a stronger venom and the smaller the dog, the more severe the reaction. I cannot guarantee that these home remedies will save your guy....in my area, we have many scorpions and I treat stings daily and have never lost one even the very small dogs but that does not mean that it cannot happen.

If there is a vet available, I would recommend an exam. I have given you home remedies that you can try but if he does not respond or shows any of the serious signs that I listed above, take him to your vet.

Is that more clear?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The last thing I would like to know is if the twitching is normal in either an ant or scorpion sting? Can multiple ant bites? Everyone I know who's been stung, had severe twitching, burning sensation, sharp pain in their extremities.
Yes, muscle twitching can be a sign of both due to the pain form the sting or bite.

Serious signs are excessive salivation,. dilated pupils, muscle tremors, breathing difficulties and collapse...this is when to get worried.

I hope that helps....
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about your guys condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. I will check in on you in a few days....

Good morning. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on your guy. Is he doing any better? Did he have any reactions to the bites? Thanks!