Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

My chihuahua age 11 started having uncontrolable rear leg muscle

Customer Question

My chihuahua age 11 started having uncontrolable rear leg muscle spasms (left leg) as if he were scratching his ears - this spasm keeps him from walking sometimes as it is so fast in tempo. Started yesterday pm Can you help? Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Chico. This is interesting. I would like to get your responses to some questions.

1) Is he able to walk despite these spasm events?
2) Is it just one leg having the spasms?
3) Is he still eating and drinking?
4) How long do these spasm events last?
5) Does one or the other ear have discharge and odor in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spasm started yesterday afternoon - he could control the leg enough to walk but this am it seems more difficult for him to control the rapid twitching. I think he is eating - spasm is continuous in the leg until he lays down and then it stops - ears seem fine. He had his annual checkup a few weeks ago and his shots are up to date - he has his active days and then restful days - fun dog - he seems frightened and embarrassed that the leg twitches
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that information. This amount of twitching for that period of time is not something that is normal. What I'd recommend in this situation is videoing what you're currently seeing at home and then taking that and him to your vet or an ER clinic here as soon as possible for them to evaluate him. The video may be key here as some will stop doing the "concerning" event by the time they get to the clinic and that way they can see specifically what you're seeing. Is this due to a toxicity? Is this due to a petite mal seizure? Is it due to pain / discomfort? Is it due to a calcium issue in his body? There are a lot of possibilities here. At this time, it has gone on long enough that I can't recommend waiting at home to see how he does. I would like to have him looked at to get a specific diagnosis and then treatment started up based on that. Does this make sense?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It turns out our doggie had a dental problem - can you believe it?? He was put to sleep and his incisor removed and he's back to normal :):) Who could guess that was his problem!!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the update! Honestly, that is something that never crossed my rule out list. Sometimes some issues have very altered presentations. End story though is he's back to normal after getting the help that was needed. Thank you again for the update and I hope Chico continues to do well!