Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My Silky Terrier was overweight and my vet put her on Science

My Silky Terrier was overweight and my vet put her on Science Diet Metabolic. It has worked beautifully, but she seems to have hit a plateau and hasn't lost any in the last three weeks. How can I get this jump started. We only have one pound left to lose.

Dr. Scarlett :

That last pound (like the last 5 pounds in humans) is the toughest! Since she has lost weight (very good job on your part!), she likely needs fewer calories now. So you will need to decrease the amount you feed a little more.

Dr. Scarlett :

What kind of exercise is Tink getting? Increasing her exercise a bit more will also help her "power past" this plateau.

Hi Anita Parker,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tink. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is doing very well. We walk every evening, and a couple of days ago we extended the distance. In the beginning, she could only walk half a block and very, very slowly. She has arthritis and a disc problem in her back. Since losing the weight, she walks a good four blocks and trots! She gets tired and has to stop and rest a few times. I let her set the pace. It appears that since we extended the distance, the weight loss may have kicked in again! Thanks for your help and interest. By the way, because of the arthritis, I think I will buy her an orthopedic bed.

Excellent! Thanks for the update!
I'm sure she will love her new bed! If she continues to be rather stiff, talk to your vet about trying her on Duralactin or starting Dasuquin. Duralactin is a "hyperimmune milk protein" that helps with inflammation in the body. I've been using it for the past couple of months and everyone I've started it on has done really well. Dasuquin is a glucosamine supplement that works well in the patients that respond to it. I'd start with that brand name over a generic to see if it makes any difference. If she seems to have better mobility on it, then you could try a generic after the bottle is gone.