Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

My 53lb dog just chewed a new vial of levemir in the plastic

Customer Question

My 53lb dog just chewed a new vial of levemir in the plastic flexpen. Do not know how much he ingested. What do we do now?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Ollie's incident with Levemir, and I understand your concern. Fortunately, insulin is poorly absorbed from the digestive system, and especially so in dogs who's stomach acid rapidly destroys it. That's why insulin can't be given orally and must be given by injection.
I would suggest watching him closely for the rest of the evening for any signs of hypoglycemia. I seriously doubt whether you'll see anything unusual at all, but if he should seem sleepy, is stumbling around, losing his balance, or refuses to get up when he normally would, Karo syrup, maple syrup, honey or plain table sugar can be given to him to counteract the insulin. I doubt you'll have any problems at all with him, but if you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank-you, I was hoping this would still be the answer for canines! In your opinion, is there any concern if the oral mucosa absorbed the insulin? Just a small risk I hope? We will observe him for the next 12-18 hours.

I think this dog has a death wish with the thing he tries to eat :-(
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
You're most welcome, Tracy!
The amount of insulin absorbed through the oral mucosa is most likely going to be negligible. It would actually be a good thing if it worked that way. Some dogs are actually euthanized due to their owners unwillingness to administer injections. As for the eating foreign materials, this can be a life-threatening habit. One answer is the use of a basket muzzle when you can't be there to directly supervise Ollie. These devices are lightweight and highly effective at preventing the ingestion of strange things. You can see and purchase these online by googling "basket muzzles" or by going to this site: http://www.morrco.com/dogmuzzles1.html
If you should have further questions, or if I may assist you in any way, now or in the future, please let me know.
Kindest regards,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr. Bob,

Just like nothing ever happened- the big Oaf!
My son is better at putting away his things (even though the door to his room is to be closed :-)

Thank-you for your help.

Regards,
Tracy
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
You're most welcome! If I may be of further assistance to you, now or in the future, let me know.
Best regards, Dr. Bob