chapmandvm
chapmandvm, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

doese my dog need a rabbies jab travling from uk. to the r

doese my dog need a rabbies jab travling from uk. to the rep.ireland
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  chapmandvm replied 11 months ago.

chapmandvm : Hello!
chapmandvm : Yes you do. You need a pet passport for your pet. If you want to import a dog, cat or ferret into Ireland from any EU member state including the UK, the pet animal must have an EU Pet Passport, (this document is the same throughout the EU).The Passport certifies that:The pet is travelling from an eligible country.The pet is identified by an implanted microchip.The pet has been vaccinated against rabies subsequently at least 21 days before travel•Dogs must be treated for tapeworm between 24 and 120 hours before travel and the time and date of treatment must be entered on the passport. Treatment for ticks is not compulsory but it is advisable to get it at the same time as the tapeworm treatment.There is more information about the entry requirements for dogs, cats or ferrets from EU and certain other EU territories on the website of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
chapmandvm : So make sure you have the rabies jan done at least 21 days before travel and make sure you get a pet passport. All this can be done at your local vet. And then make sure you go back to your vet between 1-5 days before travel to have the deworming done. I hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else you need to know!
Experience: Veterinarian