Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

one of my cats is aggressive towards the other after a vet

one of my cats is aggressive towards the other after a vet visit. I have learned (sadly after the fact) that she is just not recognizing her.
Does this mean that during times I am away during the day I should separate them? I work long hours and trying to figure this out.
Thank you
Hilary
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Penny's situation. To best help, I would like to ask some questions.

1) Is she only aggressive towards the other cat after a vet visit?

2) How long ago was the last vet visit?

3) How many times has this aggression happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. Yes, this is the first time they have been separated, and the first time i heard this cat hiss and growl actualy! - it was a visit where the the other cat had to get an xtray and bloodwork - so she was sedated

2. The vet visit was earlier today

3. The agression happens whenever the cat who did not go to vet gets near the other.

I guess my concern is that -

1. do i have to figure out separate quarters for them while I am at work

2. which one should I confine

3. will I have time to do get another litter box? before work :)

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all that good information. So from what I understand, they get along great in the past. Just after today's vet visit, they are not getting along. Are they separated now? Have they actually gotten into a skirmish / fight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your help by the way!

Yes, they are best buddies/sisters.

They are semi separated in that, every once in awhile the aggressive/scared cat will come out of the room I have her in (with me).

I'm kind of splitting my time from bedroom to be with the sick kitty.

Actually, she is acting much more herself and of course confused about this whole thing.

I tried to wipe vet kitty with her usual sent.

They have not fought, except one recent outstretch of a paw but it is overall hissing and growling from the agressive cat, the other one sits quietly.

Hilary

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad to be helping at this time Hilary! I'm glad to hear that prior to this they have been best buddies / sisters. In all reality, they will be back to that level of comfort / socialization here very soon. I find that a lot of owners have this same situation happen when one cat from the home goes to the vet. That cat picks up scent from the office and the at home cat picks up on this. In all reality, it is something that usually settles down in the next 12 to 24 hours. In this time, the scent diffuses out and it is no longer there to set things off. If there haven't been any fights to this point, then most likely there won't be any. I wouldn't really think that separating them tomorrow while you're at work is that needed. More than likely they'll just find separate areas of the home to be apart from each other if they aren't back to their normal behavior. Usually these situations don't end with aggressive fights / injuries - just a small amount of "talking" for a short time and then everything is back to normal. So, I wouldn't feel total separation is needed. Please let me know if this seems clear or not.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

Yes, that seems totally clear and instinctively right.

I think i was just worried that the one hissing/growling meant the other one would get distressed or hurt, but i think you are right.

Plus the other kitty seems ok. THank you for easing my mind

have a good night

Hilary

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad to have helped here tonight. I know no owner wants this "distress" to happen at home after a vet visit, but it is something that actually happens in many cases. They should be back to being buddies here soon!