Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Ive had a pug for almost 5 yrs now. Dont know his history

I've had a pug for almost 5 yrs now. Don't know his history before I got him. Every year he gets this "malady" where he has something like an asthma attack every 5-10 minutes for 14 days. Onset is sudden, as is the end of symptoms. Last hear they discovered he has a callapsing trachea, but no symptoms of CT except during his malady period, which is coming up again soon.
Submitted: 11 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Milo.

The "Torb" is torbugesic or butorphanol. A common cough suppressant that can also help a bit with symptoms of the collapsing trachea.

Intersting that it only lasts for about 14 days. That suggests, a bit, that maybe it is more of an allergic condition. Of course, a guess.

Considering nothing else has helped much, you have nothing to lose trying a antihistamine. Might help a bit.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

What I would suggest is that during the next "episode" get some chest x-rays. You need to know how much the collapsing trachea is contributing to the problem, as well as, to know what active changes are present within the lungs. It may help to guide treatment a bit better.

It very well could just be a bad episode of the tracheal problem that needs to be controlled. Another medication you could ask the vet about is hydrocodone syrup. Used more for coughing, but could be useful in this situation, just like the Torb tablets.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I completely agree that it is an allergic reaction because it is at the same time every year (though last year it was early due to the record heat here in Milwaukee) and lasts exactly 14 days every time. The occurance is usually mid-Sept. He's had chest exrays 2x, and last year had some sort of "scope" procedure ... lungs are always clear.

One added complication is that, a couple of years ago, he contracted Lyme disease. He came down with it in late spring, was treated and recovered. However, last year it recurred at the same time as the malady ... what a horror ... he actually was unable to breathe long enough that he passed out, and then had a siezure.

Isn't there an allergy drug for late season allergens that alleviates "asthma" type attacks as opposed to rash or cough?

Allergy drug? No

Some clients can request allergy testing with the goal of starting hyposensitization injections at home. Hard to suggest in this case, with the symptoms only being a few weeks.

Even inhalers may be of zero benefit because their effect is within the lungs.

Otherwise, for allergic conditions, your best bet is likely a steroid shot like vetalog, which can last 7-10 days or oral steroids.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I currently go to a "regular" vet. Do you think there would be any advantage to going to a "holistic" vet instead?

Hi Sharron,
Well, look at everything you have already tried!

Nothing to lose to at least do a consult with a holistic vet. Maybe try one or two things, just to see if helpful.