Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience:  Works at a veterinary teaching hospital to bring you the best.
74509961

Hi, my guinea pig boar was castrated in May. The rescue centre

Customer Question

Hi, my guinea pig boar was castrated in May. The rescue centre we'd got him from said to wait 17 days until we put him in with our girls which we did. One of the sows is now suddenly putting on a lot of weight and has a crust on one of her nipples. She is stocky throughout her abdomen rather than just the lower abdomen. Is it possible for a male to still be fertile after 17 days please and is a crust on the nipple a sign of pregnancy as well as ovarian cysts? She is about 2 (not sure exactly as she is also adopted). I will take her to the vets tomorrow to be sure asI am aware that she may have to have a caesarian.

Many thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christina replied 1 year ago.

Dr. CMar :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian here to try and help answer your questions.

Dr. CMar :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes, thank you

Dr. CMar :

I do think it is possible your female guinea pig is pregnant.

Dr. CMar :

There can be viable sperm in a guinea pig for up to 6 weeks following castration

Dr. CMar :

how long ago did you put your male in with the females?

Customer:

OK thank you. Do you know if the crusting on her nipple could be a symptom of pregnancy? She went in with him 8 weeks ago

Dr. CMar :

The crusting on the nipple is not usually a sign of pregnancy, but as you suspected and ovarian cyst... however, because the ovarian cysts can also produce hormones similar to pregnancy, it is possible it is a sign of pregnancy.

Dr. CMar :

just not something we commonly see.

Dr. CMar :

I would monitor the other females in the cage as well.

Customer:

Right, thank you. One other bit was whether she would be looking more pear shaped by now? She is definitely heavier than she was but feels bulky throughout the abdomen rather than only in the lower abdomen. I will keep an eye on the other female too, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very petite at the moment though!

Dr. CMar :

guinea pigs don't often show "large bellies" with pregnancy until late. the gestation period is about 63-70 days. And usually within the last week we see that, although all guinea pigs are different.

Dr. CMar :

It is possible she is not pregnant and there is something else going on in her belly. An x-ray at your vet tomorrow should be able to help differentiate.

Dr. CMar :

Just in case she is pregnant, make sure she's getting lots of vitamin C. more so than a non gravid guinea pig

Customer:

Ah, she may well be then as she was very slender previously! Because she hasn't had a litter and is at least 2 years old, I gather she may need a caesarian sue to the ligaments in the pelvis being hard. Is this a dangerous procedure for her?

Customer:

Will do with the vit C. Luckily, I give them a selection of fresh veggies anyway so hopefully she will have been getting enough through the green leafy ones.

Dr. CMar :

If she is otherwise healthy, she has better odds. Anesthesia is risky for guinea pigs even when they are healthy. If you have a vet that frequently deals with guinea pigs, that would be better than a vet who normally sees cats and dogs as they know the safe drugs to use and are better equipped to deal with emergency situations should they arise. She will absolutely need a Csection... and this can be tricky in guinea pigs so again, having someone who does this frequently is better. I would look for a vet who does exotics (assuming your vet doesn't). Otherwise, you don't really have a choice. Just hope for the best

Customer:

OK, thank you very much for your advice. Hopefully, one way or another, she'll be OK as she's a lovely girl.

Dr. CMar :

I'm sure she will be ok.

Dr. CMar :

You are welcome.

Dr. CMar :

Can I answer anything else for you?

Customer:

No that's been great thanks

Dr. CMar :

Great. You have a wonderful day. I'll check back in a few days to see how Rosie is doing.

Customer:

Lovely, thank you. Bye

Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience: Works at a veterinary teaching hospital to bring you the best.
Hello!

How is Miss Rosie doing? I hope she's doing alright.

Have a great day,
Dr. Christina
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the follow up. She's happy and fat and we still don't know if she's pregnant! Our vet said she felt "full" but couldn't feel babies at the moment so we're to wait a week or two and see how she is!

Thanks again for your help,

Best wishes.