Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Is it at all possible for a dog with mild kidney problems to

Is it at all possible for a dog with mild kidney problems to come down with Leptospirosis as a result of receiving the inoculation against it, similar to some humans getting the flu after receiving a flu shot??
Thank you
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Max.

No, I have never heard of a pet developing lepto as a result of the inoculation.

Here is some very detailed information about lepto vaccines:

Lepto Vaccines

But, because of how they are created, a lepto vaccine would not induce lepto infection.

The vaccine is well known to sometimes cause allergic reaction and illness, but not actual infection.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.