PetDr, Veterinarian
Experience:  PetDr has been a veterinarian for 13 years and working as a medical director in one of the best hospitals in NJ.

What might be wrong with my rabbits, and how can I keep them

What might be wrong with my rabbits, and how can I keep them alive until they can see my vet?

Dr. N. Ezik : Hello, I will be happy to assist you with your questions. Please tell me what exactly going on
Dr. N. Ezik : I will be helping you with your question.. Please tell me what exactly is going on. Thank you

Four of my rabbits have died of unknown problems, other then general enteritis in three of them, and I'm trying to find ways to keep the rest alive until I can see my vet about it. I put most of what's happened under What have you tried so far? DO you have any ideas on what may be causing this or how I can fix it, even temporarily?

Dr. N. Ezik : Ok, thank you for your question. I will read the entire question and I will come up with possible causes and tell what you can do until you are able to take them to your vet. Meanwhile if we disconnect, please don't forget, we can still communicate in the question and answer mode. Thank you.

Thank you!

I'll keep an eye on this page if you want to post anything you can find here. Thank you again for your help!

I think it would be just a guess to know what caused the diarrhea and death in these rabbit until your veterinarian is able to perform some cultures. Meanwhile you should keep everything clean by disinfecting. Bleach in general is a good disinfectant, but should be used at 15% concentration. Bleach doesn't work well when there is a lot of organic material, so the enclosures should be cleaned completely, then bleached. Force feeding of fiber and fluid would keep them hydrated and well fed so that they don't get further dehydrated.

I have attached the following link. When you scroll down, in the middle of the page you will see intestinal coccidiosis picture. Since you mentioned that you performed necropsy, please tell me if looked like this picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have added crushed oats in their feed and have them there all day long, and every one has a bunch of hay to eat. IS there any other things that would help add fiber? We'll continue the bleaching of cages to keep them clean.

We did send out a sample of the first rabbit's feces to a lab to check for bacterial or parasitic infections, but it didn't seem to find any, as I remember... I'll see if I can find that report to double check.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't, since there were no lesions on the intestine walls, but I looked at them full of gas? and whatever else was left and the picture shown is of them empty. I'll get back to you on that

We also culture the intestines and feces along with parasite check. Your vet should be able to do this. As far adding fiber you can give fresh grass, grass hay, vegetables, and by providing safe items to gnaw on. Good fiber sources are grass hays, like timothy hay or oat hay. Let me know if this was helpful. If you need more information please feel free to ask. If my answers were to your satisfaction please do not forget to rate my answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the advice!