Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

What type of commercial roach poison from exterminator company

What type of commercial roach poison from exterminator company is safe for birds?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  alumalite replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!.

Unfortunately I know of no commercial or even non commercial roach *poisons that will not harm birds.

I recommend that you use the 'Roach Motel' traps... and keep the bird cage area completely clean of seed and other food fragments at all times. And mop that area of the floor every day with a solution of disinfectant floor cleaner... keep that area well vented... start with a small spot to see if it affects the birds behavior... if not use the disinfectant on a larger area... use it half of the recommended strength.

If the bird has no access to any dead roaches, you might consider poisonous roach bait although poison baits do not work well with roaches.. they have good detectors for poisons and will not normally eat poisoned baits.

ROACH HOTELS AND MOTELS
They are popular for a reason, that is about all that works well and will not kill birds or be toxic otherwise.

Click here for an article on roach control around birds

Flying bug spray will kill most roaches however, especially RAID... you might consider leaving out a pan full of food scraps and bird seed about 50 feet away from the bird, in another area of the house that you can seal off from the birds room.

Then open the door with the bug spray in hand and the lights off, and spray the pan as it gets full of roaches... spray it long and hard or until the roaches start to roll over and die... a week or two of that on a daily basis will get rid of most of the roaches... but be sure you have the room well ventilated and on the other side of the house from the bird, and not in an air conditioned area where the spray can get circulated around the house.. a garage area is a good choice. if it is at least 50 feet away from the bird and with closed doors in between.

I got this note from one of our bird experts also:

Good answer, although you may want to warn them not to use any aerosol sprays around the bird. I am a Bird and Pet expert, and birds are very sensitive to all types of chemicals, even the fumes from a teflon pan on the stove.

Let me know what you think, we can go from there as long as you rate my advice *positively... there are no time limits in that case..

Phil

Hello again, is there any reason you gave me a negative rating... on this end I keep working with you until we have a satisfactory answer. You do not have to rate negatively if you do not want to pay.

Let me know, we can go from there.

Phil

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I expected an answer from a veterinarian or at least from an exterminator but not from a mechanical engineer for my rather specific question. I got an answer which you can get free over the internet using Google

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I expect an answer from a veterinarian or from an exterminator for my specific question regarding safe use of chemicals for roaches around a bird... You assigned a question to Phil who is a mechanical engineer and the answer was what you can get for free using Google
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, Sorry to hear you are having a cockroach problem. Most commercial pesticides are toxic to birds; however, there are some that are less toxic or nontoxic. If you are seeking a chemical solution, your best choice will be the insect growth regulators. These are hormone analogs that inhibit the cockroach's ability to grow up and molt when it is supposed to. This kills the roach. Since these hormones have no function in birds or mammals, they do not have toxic effects on them. A good example is pyriproxyfen. As with all pesticides, you should remove your bird from the area while the exterminator is applying the product, returning only when the product has dried (typically 12-24 hours). Sanitation and exclusion of cockroaches by sealing cracks and using baits at the edges of your property are also helpful. I hope this answers your question. If I've been helpful, please rate me positively.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. Do you know any brand name for a product containing pyriproxyfen we can use for roaches? How do you apply it? As a bait?

Elena

Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.
The most common trade name is XXXXX XXXXX it's usually applied as a liquid/spray, often along the edges of the walls and in cracks and crevices. Baits may help, especially if you can put them somewhere where your bird can't get to them and open them if he is loose, but you may need to spray or have an exterminator spray the house to get rid of them.

Sometimes Nylar comes mixed with other insecticides, such as permethrins, pyrethrins, or organophosphates, that can be toxic to birds, so read your labels carefully before you buy or apply.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.