Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian
2263760

My dog started limping over the weekend, barely applying pressure

My dog started limping over the weekend, barely applying pressure to his left right paw with noticible swelling in his wrist area (not sure if that's what it's called). He wanted to do nothing but lay down......didn't eat or drink anything all day Saturday and finally at a little on Sunday when I put tuna in the food. He is now having issues with his back legs....shaking and seeming to be weak in the legs, but the front paw appears fine. We're assuming it's due to all the long hours of simply laying down without getting up. Is it ok for me to walk him for short amounts of time throughout the day, just to see if he returns to normal, letting him stretch it out? He's had issues like this before and seems to respond to anti-inflammatories and pain meds, nothing too serious. We're trying to avoid the vet due to the soaring cost and to see if his body will heal on its own. Thoughts?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Can you get a thermometer, and take his temperature, so we can find out if he has a fever? Do you have anti-inflammatories, and pain meds, you can give him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a thermometer...I'll go get one. I don't have pet pain meds...only human, both Aspirin and Ibuprofen. Could those be used?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as long as he is eating well, he can take aspirin. The dose is 5 mg of aspirin per pound of dog. Give it with a meal to help prevent gastrointestinal upset. If he is not eating, let me know and I will tell you what to do. We should take his temperature before you give him any aspirin. As you know, the aspirin would lower his temperature if he has a fever and then we would not know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, husband bringing home the thermometer. Grayson is eating as long as I put a can of tuna on his food. He did eat already today, not as much as he normally does, but about 75%. What will the temperature tell us as far as his legs are concerned? Also, will the aspirin help with any pain he main be having and inflammation reduction? Finally, do you agree that I should continue walking him every couple of hours to stretch his legs?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
What will the temperature tell us as far as his legs are concerned? If he has a fever, he could have an infection and need antibiotics. A general infection can make him stiff and seem weak in the hind legs. Their joints can become infected as well which can cause a fever. He could also have Lyme's disease or a tick born disease.
Also, will the aspirin help with any pain he main be having and inflammation reduction?
Yes, the aspirin will reduce pain and fever.
Finally, do you agree that I should continue walking him every couple of hours to stretch his legs? I would try to get him up and moving around. But if he is sore, stiff, or has a fever then I would only walk him to the end of the block and back. More exercise could make him more sore and cause more joint inflammation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, that all makes complete sense. Once we get the thermometer and take the temp, I'll let you know what we find out.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Great, I will be waiting. : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Gabby...Grayson's temp is 99.8....not bad at all. Should I still give him the aspirin?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Great. So it is probably not due to a bacterial infection.
Yes, I would give the aspirin, every 12 hours with food, for 48 hours.
See if that helps him to feel better.
If you give the aspirin, and he is up and back to his usual self, then he can go for the walks he normally takes.
If he does not improve in 48 hours, then I would take him into the vet for blood work and further diagnostics.
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years working as a full time veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Natalie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Grayson. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby