Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Knowledgable on pet behavior and health.
65104486

cat - 14 years +, has black lumps on nose and ears, a scab-like

cat - 14 years +, has black lumps on nose and ears, a scab-like condition. the ears have now progressed to blackening of 1/3 of ear this part shrivelled up and died after 2-3 weeks and eventually dropped off to a clean wound.since then further blackening of same ear has occurred. amateur diagnostics is skin cancer as only happens on white fur part of this black and white cat. it will not survive a trip to the vet,does not seem to be in pain,though it does annoy him. Is there any thing I can do to make his last years/months more comfortable?

Veterinarian101 :

Hi, my name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today.

Veterinarian101 :

Your 'amateur diagnosis' does sound correct that the black scabs are likely to be a skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma.

Veterinarian101 :

This is a type of cancer that will continue to cause bleeding scabs which will drop off and then ulcerate again. This will continue.

Veterinarian101 :

If a trip to the vet to have the areas surgically removed/trimmed is not an option

Veterinarian101 :

then you need to be bathing the areas once a day with warm salty water to try an ensure they do not become infected.

Veterinarian101 :

This type of cancer can spread to the throat and the lungs.

Veterinarian101 :

So you need to be watching for signs of not eating, unwell or coughing.

Veterinarian101 :

If these occur you may need to consider a trip to the vet then,

Veterinarian101 :

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

would daily washing of Betadine solution @ be more beneficial or detrimental to stopping any possible infection

Veterinarian101 :

Betadine is not ideal in cats as if they manage to lick it - e.g. rub the ears with their paws and then lick their paws. Warm salty water is better.