Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

Our 4 month old bunny female rabbit has swollen scent glands.

Our 4 month old bunny female rabbit has swollen scent glands. What can I use to give her relief?

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Mu Shu today.

If Mu Shu is showing signs of swollen scent glands, then it is very likely that this is secondary to a scent gland infection (ie bacterial, fungal, etc). In regards XXXXX XXXXX we often use rabbit safe oral antibiotics (ie enrofloxacin if bacteria are suspected). If the swelling is severe and causing discomfort, then we may also treat with rabbit friendly anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to reduce swelling and soreness.

In some cases, we will use topical antibiotic therapy. That said, when doing so we must be extremely cautious and ensure the rabbit cannot reach the site and ingest any of the topical treatment. This is because ingestion of these agents can lead to serious damage to their GI microflora resulting in severe and potentially fatal diarrhea for them.

Overall, scent gland inflammation is most commonly associated with infection. Therefore, it would be worth following up with her vet so that you can obtain rabbit appropriate antibiotics and anti-inflammatories like those I have listed. Otherwise, home treatment options will be limited (since human OTC medications can be dangerous and fatal for rabbits) but you can bathe the are in a mild astringent like salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) or dilute chlorohexidine from the pharmacy to try and reduce the bacterial levels. And in regards XXXXX XXXXX creams, you again need to be very careful that she isn't ingesting these and avoid creams that lock in moisture since this will just allow the infection to fester and spread.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with 4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )

Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mu Shu. How is everything going?