PetDr
PetDr, Veterinarian
Experience:  PetDr has been a veterinarian for 13 years and working as a medical director in one of the best hospitals in NJ.
74969252

I have a 15 year old domestic house cat (female, spayed). She

I have a 15 year old domestic house cat (female, spayed). She has always been great at using the litter box, which is cleaned at least once daily. Last week, we were on vacation and a trusted pet sitter watched her, also cleaning the box daily. When we got home, though, the urine odor was nearly overwhelming. I can't find evidence of urine on the floors, and the box was mostly clean (I cleaned out the remaining clump). Is there a medical reason I should be concerned about recently strong odor, or should I chalk it up to the hotter weather just holding the smell?

Dr. N. Ezik :

I'm sorry Cica is having urination problems. Have you noticed any excessive drinking recently?

Dr. N. Ezik :

I am online an awaiting for your answer.

Dr. N. Ezik :

I would be strongly suspicious of an urinary tact infection (UTI). It is not uncommon for a female cat to get an UTI. Cats with UTI often have strong odor to their urine and frequently have accidents by urination out of litterbox. A simple bladder infection is usually easily treated with 10 to 14 days of antibiotics. The patient's symptoms usually resolve quickly, within the first 2 days of treatment, though the entire course of treatment should be given. Inadequate treatment leads to infection recurrence and possibly future bacterial resistance.

Ideally, approximately 5 days after the last antibiotic dose, a new sample is cultured to be sure the infection is gone. If the infection has not cleared or if a new infection has developed, there is usually a reason why.

Dr. N. Ezik :

A simple urine analysis and urine culture would confirm UTI at your veterinarian's office.

Dr. N. Ezik :

Let me know if my questions were helpful.

Dr. N. Ezik :

I am sorry, I meant "my answers"

Customer:

Thanks - I'll make an appointment at the vet and hope they have a treatment. Can they typically confirm an infection while you wait? I have house guests arriving Thursday and would like both a healthy cat and non-stinky house for the visit.

Dr. N. Ezik :

If urine analysis reveals excessive microscopic blood and protein in the urine it would strongly suggest UTI. But the confirmation comes from urine culture, which may take about 3-5 days. We normally start broad specturm

Dr. N. Ezik :

spectrum antibiotics so that the possible infection would not get worse.

Customer:

OK - thanks. Vet appointment to be made tomorrow AM. Hope to poor dear does OK until then. UTIs suck for people, I imagine they suck for cats, too.

Dr. N. Ezik :

They definitely do! While you're at your veterinarian's office I would also suggest to do wellness blood work to find out if there are any underlying cause for her to get UTI, such as kidney problem, diabetes etc. I wish Cica the best.

If you haven't already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can follow up with me using the box below.
Hi [Customer Name],

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. How is Cica?

Let me know,
[Expert Name]