Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets

my male cat is having trouble lying down. He is tired but

my male cat is having trouble lying down. He is tired but can's seem to lie down. I have to lay him on his side.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is he having any trouble urinating?

Is he eating and drinking?

Does he seem painful when you squeeze his belly?

Is he vomiting and/or having diarrhea?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Does not appear to have any trouble urinating.

Has been eating and drinking.

I checked his belly - not sore.

Not vomiting.

He has stage 3 Renal Disease and is very skinny and gets subcutaneous hydrations twice weekly.

I wonder if he is constipated.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that he is uncomfortable tonight and has been diagnosed with Stage 3 renal disease. Constipation is a very possible cause of his symptoms tonight as this is very common in cats with kidney disease due to the fact that these cats get dehydrated fairly easily. The large intestine tries to help conserve fluids in the body by draining water from the stool which can make it harder for him to defecate. If he is straining in the litter box to pass a bowel movement or has not had a bowel movement in a couple of days then I would definitely suspect this as the cause. If he has been having bowel movements and does not seem uncomfortable when defecating then he could have a different disorder. Here are some of the other possibilities:

- A kidney or urinary tract infection
- Pancreatitis which is an inflammatory disorder of the pancreas
- Lumbosacral disease which is pain in the lower back
- Gallbladder or liver disease
- Inflammatory Bowel disease

At this time I would try to treat him for the constipation first. If this is not helping then I would consider having your vet examine him to make sure this is not more serious. For the constipation here are some suggestions for you:

- You can give him some milk. Cat's are naturally lactose intolerant therefore milk can cause the stool to loosen up. I would recommend about 1/4 of a cup to drink daily for constipation.

- If this does not help you could also add some fiber to his food. My suggestion would be canned pumpkin. The dose for this is 1/2 of a teaspoon of the pumpkin every 24 hours. Many cats will actually eat this which helps to push their stools out better.

- If he will not eat the pumpkin or this does not help then you could purchase a laxative called Miralax from the drug store. This is very safe for cats and quite effective. This comes as a tasteless clear powder. Mix the powder with some canned food or even some water that you could give to him with a syringe. I would recommend a dose of 1/8 of a teaspoon every 12 hours for the first day then every 24 hours as needed.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets