Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 55lb boxer ate 4 tiny bits of diced onion. She already

My 55lb boxer ate 4 tiny bits of diced onion. She already has high liver levels- 400 to 500. She ate it about 5 hours ago. Will she be ok?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bailey.
At 5 hours ago, that is too long to consider inducing vomiting to get the onion out.

But, guess what. If just 4 tiny bits, for a dog of this size, I am not worried about any toxicity. I really doubt it would have any impact at all on organ function.

Certainly, if any sickness was to develop, I would get into a vet for supportive care. That would be most likely diarrhea, but no different than in any other dog.

So, I think you are in good shape!

A wonderful supplement for the liver to research and talk to your vet about starting is called Denamarin.

Good Luck
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome Charity.
Good Luck