Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
I'm so sorry to hear this has happened.
The blood pressure medication will affect a dog the same as it affects you, so the concerns are real.
This would be a considerable ovedose for such a small dog.
So, sadly, this means you need to take the situation seriously.
Unfortunately, the situation is complicated by the fact that you're not sure who all consumed tablets. There's no easy solution for this.
At forty-five minutes post-ingestion, we're also at a critical time limit for trying to induce vomiting.
At this point, I would recommend inducing vomiting in all four dogs. You will need a decently fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide to do this.
I'd recommend having you do this at home since time is of the essence, unless you have access to an emergency clinic in less than 20 minutes.
They all seem to be acting OK...I can't be sure if any were ingested - the quantity is 60 and I haven't taken any & I can only account for 58 of them
This is one of those situations where your dogs are in need of emergency veterinary care. I want to be as helpful as I can with information, but they need to be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible in order to safely and effectively induce vomiting, monitor their blood pressure, and deal with the potential side effects of an overdose.
I understand that it's tempting to try to rationalize why they might be okay ... maybe they didn't eat any, but if one dog at two tablets, that would be a problem, and if you wait until he is having a problem, it's much more difficult to manage than if you prevented it to start with.
This is definitely the realm of where internet advice is inappropriate, unfortunately.
Giving hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting is not without risk.
The decision for what is best to do for your dogs is best made by an attending veterinarian who can measure their blood pressure and use safer drugs to induce vomiting, if warranted.
The most important information I can offer you online is that YES, this could become a serious medical problem. You should seek veterinary care right away. Waiting it out is risky. Things might turn out fine, but they might not.
When we use ramipril in dogs, we use 0.125mg/kg. That would be a dose of 0.375mg for a 7# XXXXX
So the potential for a problem on a 7# XXXXX eating up to 20mg is serious.
Even if it is too late to induce vomiting, or if the vet decides it is not warranted to induce vomiting, there are medications that can be given to counteract the effects of the ramipril.
I've accessed the toxicity reports on this drug, and you're in the borderline area for concern.
If one of your dogs at both pills, that would be a dose of 7mg/kg. Dogs start to show signs of toxicity between 7-10mg/kg.
If you brought your dogs in to me and it was approximately an hour after ingestion and their blood pressure was currently normal, I'd be inclined to draw baseline blood work and admit them to the hospital so I could monitor their blood pressure hourly. If things stay okay for 8 hours post-ingestion, it should be fine.
Do you have access to an emergency veterinary clinic?
I'm so happy to hear this!
Since it's been four hours since she would have ingested anything and since the quantity is now known to be so small, there's nothing to worry about! :-)
Everything should be fine.
Just curious....since I now have four - what should I have on hand to induce vomiting? And thanks for following this....