Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My dog is throwing up and having blood with running stools

Customer Question

My dog is throwing up and having blood with running stools coming out of her rear end. She is normally a wild and active dog but all she is doing no is patting, she wouldn't drink water and she is moving very slow when she moves. It is like she can not find a comfortable place so she keeps moving. Her vomit is yellowish brown, with muscle, brownish liquid that looks like the blood coming out of her rear end. She was fixed years ago so I know it is not her time of the month. She wasn't like this last night when she went to sleep in my room or when I let her downstairs. She has a frothy tongue and bubbles on it. She is current on all her shots, but she got them two months ago so I know it is not a reaction to that and her food has been changed. What is wrong with her?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How old is she?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is 4 and she weighs about 85 to 90 lbs. No pre existing medical condition except she has dry skin and right now has fleas, but she is getting a bath on Monday. The only thing we can think about is her licking the trash can (but she does not a lot) and a green pepper which we found on the floor (I ordered beef & green peppers). She won't eat anything at the moment, not even her favorite human foods. She just threw up again

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
2- Did she eat beef and green peppers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know if she ate the beef and green peppers. My housemate must have spilled a few green peppers on the floor because we saw one down there when he told me she was sick. He does not know what she ate (he doesn't pay attention to her). She usually gets anything someone drops so that is why I think she ate one of the peppers. Her gums are pink with black spots on them like always. However, the pink is not as bright as normal.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Randi, vomiting and bloody diarrhea can have many causes. Without a hands on exam and without some testing it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, inflammation or even secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that she is lethargic and vomiting so frequently I would have her checked today if you have access to ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her intestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your advice. My dog died very early this morning.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Randi, I am so sorry to learn she died. I wish there was more I could have done. Again, sorry.

Dr. Peter