Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Im not sure what the problem is, I am petsitting for the owner

I'm not sure what the problem is, I am petsitting for the owner who won't be back for 10 days. It's a female 3-4 years old, spayed. Either her lower belly or vaginal area is very red. She's also been peeing on the carpet. Not sure if the peeing is from the owner being away, or related to the red belly/vulva. He seems to think it's a "hot spot" and said to use a corticosteroid spray he has at the house. I've done it twice in the last 2 days, but she runs away, and won't roll over for me. I also can't get a good look at the area to tell if it is just the lower belly or the actual vulva. I can't keep her on her back. He seems unconcerned, but I'm afraid it's a UTI.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would agree with you. It sounds like this is probably a UTI. These can be stress induced in cats. It's not always due to a bacterial infection. Sometimes stress alone will cause inflammation in the bladder and inappropriate urination. I would be that the redness is from some urine scalding and inflammation of the vulva.

It would be ideal to get her looked at and get started on some antiibotics and pain meds. That should get this cleared up nicely.

In the mean time, you could give her some cranberry juice 2-3 times daily- 1-2 teaspoons would be fine. This will help change the pH in the urine to help control some of the irritation.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oops, I forgot to add that this is a dog. She's a cross-breed that is partial labrador so she's a fairly large dog. That's why I am unable to roll her over and get her to stay while I check. She hates the spray; I think it stings, and i think it's made her wary of baring her stomach to me.

How much cranberry juice would be appropriate for a 50-60 pound dog, and how I do keep it such that the other dogs in the house won't drink it? Will she maybe take it directly from the spoon? Or should I try and mix it into a dish with water? Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry. I thought it was a cat.

In that case, it's not a stress induced cystitis. It's most likely a UTI. Get her on some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. I would stop trying to use the spray, it doesn't sound like it's helping and it's just making her more stressed.

For cranberry juice, you can give 1-2 tablespoons a couple times daily. Just offer it to her. If she doesn't drink it, then pull it up. This will prevent the others from drinking it. Most will drink it out of a bowl.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I had been concerned it was a UTI, because while i'm not very familiar with hot spots, it seems to be in the general vulva area, and I didn't feel that would necessarily be an area of a hot spot.Or, at the very least, I suspected the area, plus the redness, plus the urinating on the carpet would make it fairly likely to be a UTI.

I should add that she has been doing a fair amount of licking to the area, plus scratching with her hind foot. I suspect that is why her owner is attributing the issue to a hot spot, combined with Separation Anxiety causing the urination in the house.

Of course, my main concern is getting the dog the care that she needs and something like a UTI seems to be a fairly urgent concern.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, this is not a typical hot spot area. It's likely a UTI and secondary vaginitis.

The anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) that is used with the UTI will help with the itching.

You could also use some Benadryl to help with the itching. In this size dog, you could give 50-100 mg of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) every 6-8 hours to help with the itching.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?