Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

We live in Arkansas and just had one of our dear cats euthanized

We live in Arkansas and just had one of our dear cats euthanized due to severe illness. We were new to the vet's office and not familiar with personnel there, so when someone walked into the room, inserted a hypo into the port on the drip line and injected a clear liquid, we assumed it was the vet. They didn't introduce themselves, so we did not know any different. We found out later that day when we went back to pay the bill the person was not a vet but the "office manager!" This really surprised and angered us! Is there any law that stipulates the person euthanizing an animal must be a vet? Is there a veterinary code that states that such a person must/should be a vet? Is this worth a complaint to the local health department or some other agency?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry that this was a negative experience for you.

The laws state that the person doing the euthanasia must be a veterinarian or licensed technician under the supervision of a veterinarian. There are times where I'll have a technician perform the euthanasia if I'm busy in a surgery or with another procedure and I cannot do the euthanasia within a reasonable time. I don't like euthanasias to sit and wait- it's not fair on the pet.

My guess is that this office manager is a technician as many are and they were under the direction of a veterinarian.

If the experience was poor, I would call up there and let the owner of the hospital know so that they can make sure another client doesn't have a similar experience.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification. We're still disappointed the person did not introduce themselves because we were expecting the vet--not a technician. Even simple courtesy would lead us to expect an introduction, not just walking in and proceeding. Not a good experience and we will NOT be going back. That office will also be getting a negative review from us.

I understand. The techs are not as experienced introducing themselves and making themselves known as they don't go through this interraction as much as vets.