Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.
22217170

Hello, my yorkie is 59 days pregnant and started to loose green

Hello, my yorkie is 59 days pregnant and started to loose green discharge 3 hours ago. I went to the vet and was sent home to watch her. Her tempreture was low and she had some contractions. Is this normal to take so long?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jay Mawhinney replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Yes, the important thing is if there is 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours of actual strong contractions you need to take her in for an exam, x rays and decision on what to do at your nearest emergency veterinary clinic. Hopefully all will work out naturally if she has a quiet place to be and minimal direct handling.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is not having strong contractions, or at least many of them , and is sleeping right now. I am just worried that there is something very wrong. Is she not supposed to give birth very soon after the green discharge? The vet at the clinic was not very familiar with the ultrasound and being very late at night had no one else to do it. She could not find the heart beat of the pup

There could certainly be a dead puppy in there. You could go in sooner, but if she started to contract, she is moving the puppy/s and if there is intense contractions for around 2 hours as I intimated definitely take her in. You certainly have to have some concern that there might be a ruptured sack and dead puppy there but not definitely. Definitely take her in tomorrow morning for x rays at least. Ultrasound may not be that more accurate unless one is skilled enough to follow movement in very small fetuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thant you, I will do that. I would just like to ask you one more question. On the twentieth day of her pregnancy, I took her for and ultra sound and it showed two sacs, one with a heartbeat and another without. Could this green discharge be of the sac that had no heartbeat?

Yes it is possible but not definite. You may be faced with a C-section if this is true that the one fetus may be dead. Good luck on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

You're welcome
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience: 34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.
I hope all is going well.