petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

No one can answer this. My kitty is 13, but he has always

No one can answer this. My kitty is 13, but he has always done this. He always urinates in his litter box, but about halfway through, he lifts his rear end and finishes the process outside the box. He doesn't move his body, just his rear end. It's not like spraying, it's just a movement. Even with a hooded box, he'll turn around and point to the opening.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Rowdy today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I can tell you that I have seen cats like this and actually our current hospital cat is one of them. We have done a full urinary work up and tried all sorts of styles of litter boxes and litters. He has not problems getting in or out of the box, no litterbox aversions, but does exactly as you describe, stand up midway through the urination and finish with the urine streaming over the edge. I believe in these cats, this is just their preferred stance and no litter box change will alter that.

All we have been able to do is to make it easier for us to clean by putting a thick towel roll surrounding the box that in most cases catches all of the urine that makes it's way out. It is much easier washing the towels than to continue to try to "fix" him as I don't think this is a fixable problem.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. You're the first person who ever "got" this behavior! I'll try your suggestion.

You are welcome. I wish I didn't "get" it, but after seeing him do it everyday in spite of what we have tried to correct it and knowing there is nothing medically wrong, we just gave up and gave in.Yell Oh, BTW. That is the little stinker in the picture!

Good luck. Hope the towel idea makes things easier for you!

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the generous bonus. It is truly appreciated.