Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

my male bernese mountain dog age 6 is having what appears

my male bernese mountain dog age 6 is having what appears to be a flaccid form of penis erection while have a bowl movement. He did this yesterday too. He has tested positive for lyme tiders..a medium range...urine test normal..limping occasionally..taking 500mgs of minocycline daily. He wouldn't eat this morning and threw up his pills. Should i take him to the vet??
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, i'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the problems Fergus is having. Is Fergus intact (not castrated)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fergus is neutered.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. How long has he been taking the minocycline?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since JUne 18th.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Has he vomited previously to this morning after taking the pills?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.
Judging from your description, it sounds like Fergus may be sensitive to the minocycline. You can read the side effects of this medication in humans here: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/minocycline-side-effects.html
The symptoms in dogs would be expected to be quite similar. As you can see, the side-effects of the minocycline and the symptoms of Lyme disease overlap to some extent, so it's difficult to tell which is causing the symptoms you're seeing in Fergus.
I would suggest calling your veterinarian, reporting the symptoms he's showing and asking for an alternative antibiotic to treat the Lyme disease. Two families of antibiotic are effective against Lyme, tetracyclines (minocycline is a member of this family), and penicillin-like antibiotics (amoxicillin being the antibiotic in this family most commonly prescribed in dogs). Hopefully Fergus can be switched to amoxicillin or another similar medication that will not cause the signs he's been showing. Fergus should be kept on the medication (either type) for 14 to 21 days to be as sure as possible that the organisms have been completely cleared from his body.
If I may be of any further assistance to you, please let me know. I'm leaving for my clinic now and will be offline for the next few minutes, should you have further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you then.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice