Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

hello my 4 year shih tzu was walking fine this morning now

hello my 4 year shih tzu was walking fine this morning now he is limping with right front leg. there is no punture sites, swelling or drainage. he is not wimping he just pulled away when i went to touch it.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Any other symptoms besides the limping?
2- Any falls or accidents?
3- Is he on any medications?
4- Any pre existing medical problems?
5- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he has had no other injuries. no falls or accidents that i am aware of he was walking fine this morning before i went to work. when i can home he was limping

Bernie, a weight bearing lameness of a front limb can be the result of one of several possible causes. On history alone without a hands on examination or testing (xrays) it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. But, possible causes are: A soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, arthritis, a pinch nerve along the neck, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Rest him, no running or jumping for the next couple of weeks.
2- Start him on Buffered Aspirin 5mg per pound body weight every 12 hours for 1 week.
3- If no improvement in 1-2 days after doing the above, have him checked by family veterinarian. If he does improve continue to rest him as described above.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Hi Bernie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shih Tzu. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter