Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hello My question is How do you know if a dog has a spider

Hello My question is How do you know if a dog has a spider bite. My dog had a lot of goup in his eyes and is lethargic. He will not eat or move around.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any coughing vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Are you suspecting the lethargy and eye discharge to be related to a spider bite?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 overnite

2no

3yes

4 no

5no

1- Are you noticing any swelling?
2- Is the eye discharge thick and yellowish?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take a rectal temperature on him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 yes

2 thiick off white

3dark purple whish is normal

4 no tool for that

Kevin, in response to your question spider bites generally cause a localized inflammation at the site of the bite. If you are not seeing any localized area with swelling and irritation, this is not related to a spider bite.
The eye discharge you are seeing is mucus, this is common when a dog has a systemic illness. Or, there could be a localized infection in the eyes. Lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Possible causes could be anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, on history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. Your dog will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. If cost is a concern consider having him checked by your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, pick up over the counter eyewash and irrigate his eyes to wash off all mucus using a moist gauze. Offer a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken. Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as described above.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Hi Kevin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dexter. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter