PetDr, Veterinarian
Experience:  PetDr has been a veterinarian for 13 years and working as a medical director in one of the best hospitals in NJ.

i have a cokatiel that i like a lot. but i can tell he is having

i have a cokatiel that i like a lot. but i can tell he is having problems with its left wing, and it makes me just devastated to see/hear him in agony, especially since he usually sings all the time.

sorry if this is vague, but here's how lola has been acting lately (ya, i gave him a girl's name). he avoids flying as much as possible, when he does fly its normal...but after perching i see him flinch his left wing or scratch it, he makes a terrible screeching noise that sounds like he's in pain, vigorously bites at the left feathers, but still sings :)

i can't really afford even the premium at the vet, so any advice to help this little fella is much appreciated, if this has happened before. oh, and lola likes to keep to herself, not very human-friendly...well sometimes. rarely. let me know if you need more info to help us out! thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that Lola has been in pain. If your cocktail is in that age range of 6 months to 12 months or so, this may very well be its first juvenile moult going on. New pin feathers, when they come in itch, and there is an increase in normal preening behaviors seen often. And, during some of those moults, there are other behavioral changes also seen.

I understand your financial concerns, but in ideal condition your veterinarian physically can check for mites, feather injury, skin tumors (which also may cause such behavior) or tell you if his wing needs x-ray to rule out any fracture. Also a baseline blood work is recommended, since it is a more solid foundational statement of his systemic health status.

Meanwhile keep in mind that birds also need balance in their life. Balanced nutrition is an important cornerstone of care. Equally important is balanced activity and behavioral enrichment to allow them to engage with others and with their environment.

I hope my answer was not so vague and I was able to address some of your concerns. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.