Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

My 75pound dog ate 300mg of 5-htp and is now starting to pant

Customer Question

My 75pound dog ate 300mg of 5-htp and is now starting to pant incesively, having to pee a lot, and diarrhea. SHould I take him to the vet or will this pass?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebeccavet :

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about Bear.

Rebeccavet :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebeccavet :

This sounds like it is very toxic in dogs, and going to a veterinarian tonight would be my best advice.

Rebeccavet :

I just did some math, and Bear got about 8 milligrams per kilogram, which is less than a fatal dose, thank goodness. But this stuff has killed some dogs.

Rebeccavet :

He may show signs of vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, even seizures.

Rebeccavet :

But his dose was not as high as dogs that were severely affected.

Rebeccavet :

This will last in his system 4 to 36 hours.

Customer :

Quite frankly, I responded as poor since the answer I was initially given made me contact my vet and poison control regardless. They were able to walk me through more thoroughly since I had to step away from the computer after being told to go to the vet... made this service pretty null and void in my opinion.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I was not seeing responses from you, so I will try to connect with you in this form.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Sorry there was problem with the chat format last night. I could not see any responses from you, so I switched to this format to try to connect. I am sorry we could not connect and that I could not be of more help with Bear. I actually typed a lot more that apparently did not get through at all.

How is he doing today?