Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

how to treat ant bites

how to treat ant bites
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Cowboy.

Well, first, in case it is resulting in any allergic reaction, redness, or itching, you could give some benadryl antihistamine.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

topically, you could apply some hydrocortisone cream, or you could use neosporin or a benadryl cream as well.

Sometimes, with bad reactions, you really need to get into a vet for a steroid shot or some oral steroids to help suppress a bad inflammatory reaction.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cowboy is on 1 50mg of Tramadol daily for a back injury. He is a dachshund...thus the back injury. Is it ok to give him benadryl if he had a tramadol this morning?

Hi Lori.
Yes, it is okay. I wouldn't necessarily give both at exactly the same time, to spare the stomach a bit, but they can be used concurrently.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you.