Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

small 10 year old dog who during the night had several BMs

small 10 year old dog who during the night had several BM's that were blood..is this typical of any particular disease or problem?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Maggie today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
...........
What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel.  The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well. There is a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated.  Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit.
 ........... ​
Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. If it continues, your veterinarian will want to know the history of her signs and will need to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. They may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications.  Make sure they also perform a rectal exam to evaluate her anal glands.  A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes. 
 ..........
Until you can get in contact with your vet, I would fast Maggie to give her GI system a rest.  Since she is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her.  These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta.  No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK.  If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule. If she continues to pass large amounts of blood or bloody stool, or if she refuses to eat, drink or starts to act lethargic, I would have her examined sooner versus later, preferably at an ER is weekend.
..........

When they have been going on chronically, these GI disturbances can be frustrating to diagnose and treat and sometimes we don't even find the cause, but concentrate on controlling the symptoms so our pets are comfortable.  In her case, since it appears to be an acute flare up, there is no reason to think that it won't resolve completely. Make sure to get in touch with your vet if she is not improving so they can get her treated appropriately and verify that there is nothing else going on to be causing these signs.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.
............
I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. She has had an episode like this a year ago, and it went away before I could get her in. Another thing I noticed, she drinks a LOT of water, but has not eaten. Lee

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is not unusual for them to drink more when they are not eating. Try to limit the water to small amounts at a time. If she won't eat after you fast her for 24 hours, I would be more concerned and have her examined sooner if you can.

Good luck with her and please keep me posted as to how things progress.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.

Good luck with Maggie and I hope she is feeling better soon.