How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18911
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dogs ate mouse killer with bromethalin in it. They ate probably

This answer was rated:

My dogs ate mouse killer with bromethalin in it. They ate probably 14 small cubes and I have no idea what time or which dog ate the most.
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your dog's problem.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

I am keeping this answer short and to the point because time may very well count ...

This incident presents a very significant risk to your dogs, you need to get them immediately to your vet or the nearest ER clinic to be induced to vomit and to be given activated charcoal to limit the amount of the poison that will get into their systems. There is no antidote for this type of poisoning and is very difficult to treat once signs appear.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not find tue evidence of poison being eaten for 4 to 5 hours after being home
Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well if there is any chance at all that they ate any quantity of this stuff then it would be best to take what precautions you can ASAP just to be on the safe side.

Here is an accurate link which covers expected symptoms : LINK

Good luck,

Dr Scott Nimmo and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again,

This is a very insidious type of toxin ... You see clinical signs usually develop within two to seven days of bromethalin ingestion; however, it is possible that signs will not develop for up to two weeks following ingestion. If poisoning is mild, with minimal bromethalin ingestion, symptoms may resolve within one to two weeks of onset, although some dogs may continue to show signs for four to six weeks.

Check out this link : HERE

Now is the time to try and do something about it, later could be too late.

Best take the dogs to your vet just in case.


Hello again,

All you can do on your own would be to administer activated charcoal if possible, here is how : LINK

Also inducing vomiting is not really good after the amount of time which has passed but I would perhaps do it anyway in the face of such a serious poison. Here is how : LINK

Getting your dogs to an ER vet if possible is your best option though even if you have to drive some distance.



Related Veterinary Questions