Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My dogs ate mouse killer with bromethalin in it. They ate probably

Customer Question

My dogs ate mouse killer with bromethalin in it. They ate probably 14 small cubes and I have no idea what time or which dog ate the most.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your dog's problem.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

I am keeping this answer short and to the point because time may very well count ...

This incident presents a very significant risk to your dogs, you need to get them immediately to your vet or the nearest ER clinic to be induced to vomit and to be given activated charcoal to limit the amount of the poison that will get into their systems. There is no antidote for this type of poisoning and is very difficult to treat once signs appear.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not find tue evidence of poison being eaten for 4 to 5 hours after being home
Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well if there is any chance at all that they ate any quantity of this stuff then it would be best to take what precautions you can ASAP just to be on the safe side.

Here is an accurate link which covers expected symptoms : LINK

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again,

This is a very insidious type of toxin ... You see clinical signs usually develop within two to seven days of bromethalin ingestion; however, it is possible that signs will not develop for up to two weeks following ingestion. If poisoning is mild, with minimal bromethalin ingestion, symptoms may resolve within one to two weeks of onset, although some dogs may continue to show signs for four to six weeks.

Check out this link : HERE

Now is the time to try and do something about it, later could be too late.

Best take the dogs to your vet just in case.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again,

All you can do on your own would be to administer activated charcoal if possible, here is how : LINK

Also inducing vomiting is not really good after the amount of time which has passed but I would perhaps do it anyway in the face of such a serious poison. Here is how : LINK

Getting your dogs to an ER vet if possible is your best option though even if you have to drive some distance.

Regards,

Scott