Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian

My dog seemed to have eaten an excidrine migrain pill possibly

My dog seemed to have eaten an excidrine migrain pill possibly 2 the bottle wasnt open but i saw at least one chewed on the ground i gave her hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit but she just swallowed it... she seems fine and is still wagging her tail but idk what to do. I dont have a lot of money to spend on vet bills
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
I need a little more information please.
1. How long ago do you believe she ate the excedrin?
2. How long ago did you give the peroxide?
3. How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She took the exciderine at least an hour and a half ago cant be sure exactly we werent home but she was still in the mess when we got home at 5:00 ish the peroxide was like 40 min ago and she weighs about 9.5 lbs

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
You can still try to induce vomiting .
First, give her 1/2 a piece of bread soaked in milk.
Then give her 1 teaspoon, of hydrogen peroxide, every 5 minutes until she vomits.
She can have up to three doses of the peroxide.
Make sure the bottle, of peroxide, is not expired and fresh.
If she does not vomit after that, you will need to go to the human drug store and buy charcoal capsules and pepcid ac.
Give her 10 grams of the charcoal capsules to bind the toxins.
Then give her 1/2 of a 10 mg pepcid ac tablet, every 8 hours, for the next two days.
This will help reduce the acid in her stomach which will help prevent gastrointestinal bleeding.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will try this. Thank you.. So over all you think in your opinion (i know you can never guarentee) with this she will be ok. I mean I am not being a horrible pet owner by not rushing her to the animal ER?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I think if you treat her she will be ok.
But, if she can not stop vomiting, or having liquid diarrhea, or her gums turn pale, or she becomes very lethargic, or she is doing anything that greatly concerns you then she should see the vet. Most vets are open on Saturday mornings. That way you could avoid the emergency vet.
But there is also a chance she did not ingest any at all. Those pills do not taste very good.
Happy to help.
Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Thank you. Lastly I have already given her 2 teaspoons of the peroxide I should give her 3 more or just try one more?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I would do a total of 2 more.
Do one teaspoon, wait five minutes and run her around, then give an additional one more.
Make sure you give the bread and milk first. That will help the peroxide work.
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years working as a full time veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She wont vomit... and apparently they dont sell charcoal tablets anymore in CA. The discontinued them we went to 4 different pharmacies! Anything else we should try :(

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Bummer. I know they sell them on amazon.com but that does us no good now.
Just give her the 1/2 of a 10 mg pepcid tablet, every 8 hours, for the next two days.
Hopefully she only ingested one tablet. Or ingested no tablets.
So, since she is not going to vomit, I would give her the pepcid and a meal.
Hopefully she will be fine in the morning and you will have nothing to worry about.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Maria,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maya. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Gaby,

Thank you for following up with me. Maya is doing better! She decided to finally start vomiting in the middle of the night that night and then in to the next day when we fed her. We started giving her just boiled chicken and rice 4 times a day instead of her regular food though and still the pepcid and she hasnt had any other problems. We will start giving her her normal food tonight and hopefully she is all better! Than you for your help! Saved me hundreds in emergency vet bills I am sure!

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I am so glad she is doing well! Thanks for letting me know.