Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

I came back from an overnight trip to find my cat had vomited

I came back from an overnight trip to find my cat had vomited EVERYWHERE in my apartment, several times a day. She continued to do it all last night, and into today. Sometimes it's the food she's eating (she does have an appetite), but mostly it's clear. She just vomited onto something white and I noticed the clear liquid has a pinkish hue.

Help????!??!?! I am unemployed and a vet is really expensive. I'd take her if this seems serious.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Do you know if she got into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Is she strictly indoors?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 - I don't *think* she did but she has always had an insatiable appetite so her rummaging wouldn't surprise me, but she hasn't ever eaten anything weird that I know of.
2 - Yes

3 - She's one fat little cat - about 10 lbs. I try to make her exercise as much as I can but she doesn't really ... like it.
4 - Pink with spots of black.

Laura, vomiting can have many possible underlying causes, either primary problems in the intestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The pink color of the vomit could be something she got into or blood. If it is blood it could be the result of a foreign body, ulcers, infection or even part of a systemic disease. In this case, I would want to rule out ingestion of a foreign body given the frequency of her vomiting and pink color in the vomit. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 7 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give her belly time to rest.
3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above, she will need to be seen by a veterinarian. Consider having her checked by your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. I've been walking around cleaning up after it and it looks like it is most definitely blood. Last night it was just food, and now it's just these little clear pink pools of liquid. I am freaking out! If I do what you suggested, this should solve it? What are the signs she is responding to this "treatment" and okay?

Laura, my recommendations will help. But, if this is related to the ingestion of a foreign body she will need additional treatment. If you notice no vomiting and she is eating and drinking, normal bowel movements then these are signs of improvement. If she continues to vomit, she will need to be seen by a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! Sorry I had only seen the pink pool thing the once and freaked out a bit more once I saw more pools like it. I'll do exactly as you suggested and take her to a vet should she not return to normal. Thanks again, Peter. I appreciate it!

Your Welcome Laura, Best of Luck!

Dr. Peter