Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 2 year old shepherd is losing his hair that outlines his

Customer Question

My 2 year old shepherd is losing his hair that outlines his ears. Is this a natural shedding process or does he need something for it?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Rocky.
Difficult question.
Because it is only along the outer edges of the ear flaps (pinnae), that could be significant.

Some dogs can develop a condition called a ear margin vasculitis. Now, many of these dogs have crusting along the outer edges of the ear, but we don't know yet how this may change for Rocky.

It is not a common condition, but because of your description, it should be mentioned.

Yes, it still could be a normal shedding process, and I would be monitoring if there seems to be quite a bit of hair loss elsewhere as well.

Mange (mites) is another consideration, but I would find that a bit unlikely to be only at the edges of BOTH ear flaps. Samething with fungal conditions like ringworm. The symptoms just do not fit.

I feel its worth a veterinary examination, but I am not confident the vet, yet, is going to have to do any tests.

One more thing. If Rocky happens to be scratching at all, or licking/chewing his feet a lot, then there also could be a underlying environmental or food allergy exacerbating the problem.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?