Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

My 20 year old cat took a tumble last night while attempting

My 20 year old cat took a tumble last night while attempting to jump off a dresser. Has was shaken up and had some trouble walking right afterwards. He eventually settled and appeared to be walking normally within the hour. Today he is walking normally, but slower than usual, and is quieter than usual. I am wondering if he may be in some discomfort. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow. I have some buprenorphine that was administered for him 1.5yrs. ago for pancreatitis. Would it be okay to give him this in the meantime?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome .

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not on-line at present but my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Personally I would advise against using this class of drug in what is probably a fairly minor situation, this like using a steam hammer to crack a nut! Also if you are seeing your vet tomorrow then synthetic opiates like Buprenorphine could interfere with other drugs your vet may intend to use.

Your best plan is just to keep your cat warm, comfortable and reassured until you can get him to a vet.

2. For your information Buprenorphine is regarded as a fairly safe and effective pain killer in cats. A reasonable dose rate would be in the region of 0.01 mg per pound of your cat's bodyweight given up to four times a day orally. { But see the link below }

3. Finally here is a link to a very accurate article which covers the use of this drug in cats in depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.