Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog was diagnosed with gastrities 4 days ago and the vet

My dog was diagnosed with gastrities 4 days ago and the vet put her on 5 days of Metronidazole. She seems to be in more discomfort when she has ingested the medication. Is gas, bloating, and stomach pain normal when taking this medication?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 4 year old Mini Dachshund, Dharma who is currently being treated for gastritis with Metronidazole. Metronidazole is commonly used for this type of scenario and generally the only adverse reaction we tend to see with this medication is vomiting - but only rarely. It is unlikely the metronidazole is causing the gas, bloating and pain, and more likely the gastritis (or another cause) is to blame for this.

We have to consider another cause in this instance, so hopefully your girl doesn't have a partial GI obstruction to blame for her symptoms, and hopefully she is up to date with deworming treatments. If she hasn't been too bloated during the last couple of days of metronidzole treatment, but she seems more bloated now, then I would definitely encourage you to get her back to your regular Vet first thing tomorrow. If she is particularly painful now, then do get her seen at your local ER Vet tonight if you can. It would be worth your Vet undertaking another physical exam, as well as considering an abdominal xray and/or abdominal ultrasound on your girl, as well as a full blood panel.

It is better to be safe in these instances, so if she is particularly painful, get her seen tonight.

Best of luck and keep in touch.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards