petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Can Frontline Plus still be effective if a dog was bathed 8

Can Frontline Plus still be effective if a dog was bathed 8 hours after application?

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

It will likely lose some of it's efficacy if your dog was bathed that soon after it was applied.

Dr Z :

But it is not to say that it will be totally ineffective.

Dr Z :

It does work best when the normal oils on the skin are present and they are less prevalent after a bath.

Dr Z :

Your best course of action is to repeat the Frontline application sooner than 30 days from now. In most cases, it can safely be repeated in 14 days.

Dr Z :

I would double check with your vet however to make sure there is no reason not to re-apply sooner.

Customer:

Ok thank you. How much efficacy do you think was reduced? Do you think it still would be long enough to treat adult fleas

Customer:

Excuse me, not treat but work against adult fleas

Customer:

I had read somewhere that it absorbs two hours after application...so I am hoping it will still be ok

Dr Z :

It is really impossible to say how much the efficacy was reduced. Usually what we find with increased bathing is that the effect wears off earlier than the posted 30 days it would normally would

Dr Z :

It is absorbed into the oil glands when first applied, but the oils are reduced somewhat after a bath. Regular pet shampoos are thought to do that a little less that medicated shampoos which are usually a little more degreasing.

Customer:

ok, yes, a regular dog shampoo was used. he's also on a heartworm medication that also works against flea eggs and larvae...so it's mostly the adult fleas i worry about

Dr Z :

You should probably be fine. I would double check with your vet about repeating it a little earlier this month.

Customer:

Ok, thanks I will.

Dr Z :

Is there any thing else I can answer for you today?

Customer:

No, I think I'm good. Essentially the product is still efficacious it just may not work the entire month, correct?

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Z