Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

My dog passed a bladder stone 2 months ago, an ultra sound

Customer Question

My dog passed a bladder stone 2 months ago, an ultra sound revealed sediment in her bladder, vet got us to change her diet and today she passed a fair bit of sediment in her urine, is this the stuff that showed up in the ultra sound? Does this mean her diet is working?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve. DId your vet tell you what type or name of the stone or sedimment?

Customer : No we are still waiting for the results to come back
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Bladder stones can have different compositions. SOMe are dissolvable with special foods and some are not dissolvable. In my experience most dogs have stones that are struvite which is the dissolvable kind.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

What diet is she on and how long has she been on it please?

Customer : She is on science diet c/d for dogs, she has been on it for around 2 months now (since she passed the stone)
Dr. Steven Osborne :

The diets help to slowly shrink the stones. The sediment could be from dissolving of larger stones or it could be the formation of new stones. If the stones are of the dissolving kinnd like struvite, then again in my experience I have not had a dog that didn't improve with the proper diet.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

So I am clear, the original stone passed 2 months ago was not sent in to see what it was made of, but the sediment recently passed has been sent in for testing?

Customer : So what does it mean that she's passing it in her urine? Is it a good thing?
Customer : No the stone was sent in for testing I have been ringing every 2 weeks to ask what is going on, the sediment hasn't been tested my partner accidentally cleaned it up and washed her bed
Dr. Steven Osborne :

With her being on the C/D for 2 months makes it unlikely that teh sediment is new sediment because the C/D is designed and effective at preventing the formation of new stones so the sediment is probably coming from the breaking down or dissolving of the old stones. So it sounds like the diet is working and that she is making progress.

Customer : Oh fabulous o w
Customer : I was worried its new ones forming
Dr. Steven Osborne :

It seems unusual that it wouls take this long to get results from a stone that was sent away 2 months ago. You may need to have your vet check again with the lab. IN the US , I usually get results from stone analysis within 7-10 business days. Your vet may want to check that the stone actually made its way to the lab and that it hasn't been "lost" . If the lab can not locate the stone yo may need to continue watching for sediment and send in another sample to confirm that you are on the right track. From our discussion it sounds like you are on the way.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

C/D is actually designed to prevent new stone formation so it is not likley these are new stones, at least not the struvite type that c/d does dissolve.

Customer : Great. It's late at night here so needed some advice I was so worried
Customer : Ill ring my vet and ask about the stone test and update him of her progress. He wanted to do another ultra sound on h dr
Customer : her after 6 months
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Nw another thing to be concerned about is that if the stones are calcium oxalate stones, which are not dissolvable, then the story changes. This is why it is important to know what type the stones and sediment are. I am not trying to worry you , but I do want you to know all of the possibilities and your options.

Customer : Yes of course, our vet said if sediment was still there after 6 months or new stones were forming it would mean an operation would be in order
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Another ultrasound at this point will only tell you if she ha stones and the sediment indicates that there are still stones in some degree of forming or dissolving. The analysisi of the original stone or of new sediment will give more useful information. The ultrasound in another 4-6 months is a good idea to make sure all the stones have been dissolved, but knowing if it is a dissolving stone will make you not have to be as concerned for the next 4-6 months.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Other than the lab taking so long, it sounds like your vet is on the right track as well. I hope this has helped explain the progress of stone dissolution. If it has would you please click the submit button so i may receive credit for my answer. If you have more questions, please continue. I will be checking in throughou the day in case you think of more questions later. Thanks for using justanswer and good luck.