Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my 16 month old Yorkie has tape worms, look like little pieces

my 16 month old Yorkie has tape worms, look like little pieces of rice. she weighs about 5 lbs. I bought an over the counter safe-guard canine Dewormer The packets are for dogs 10 lbs, my question, can I half the powder in the packet, since he is only 5 lbs?
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Can you see the package insert and tell me how many milligrams (or grams) per serving?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 gram net wt. for 10 lb. dog

Delia the dose for Fenbendazole (safeguard) is 50mg/kg once a day for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks. So, for a 10 lbs dog that would come to 227mg. So, if the entire pack is 1 gram (1,000mg) you can give 1/4 of a packet once a day for 3 days. Now, it is important to remember that Fenbendazole does not treat against all Tapeworms. You see, there is a tapeworm called Dipylidium Caninum that safeguard will not treat. A better dewormer against tapeworms is called praziquantel (drontal), you can buy this over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter