Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

Good evening. I have 2 year old shih tzu that presents with

Customer Question

Good evening. I have 2 year old shih tzu that presents with low appetite whithin past week. No Hx of any desease, neutered, all vaccinations up to date, bowel mvmnt Q day, urination in normal amount color, no odor. Teeth/gums WNL, no odor from oral cavity. Energetic, playfull, does not feel that he lost weight, no shadding noted. Just weard decrease in appetite. No diet changes performed, food type: royal canine. Can yo please suggest on that?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hello!

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about Tishka.

Rebeccavet :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebeccavet :

Low appetite can mean many things: pain, being hot, nausea, internal disease.

Rebeccavet :

Some dogs, when they become fully grown and mature, may start to eat less than when they were growing. However, at age 2, he has probably been finished growing for awhile.

Rebeccavet :

If his temperature is normal ( can you take his rectal temperature? Normal is between 101 and 102) and he is not losing weight, I would not be too worried.

Rebeccavet :

Some dogs just eat less in summer, when it is hot and they may be less active.

Rebeccavet :

If he vomits, starts to lose weight, or if he is drinking more water than usual, then I would be concerned.

Rebeccavet :

If you are concerned, the place to start is a good physical exam: feeling internal organs, checking anal glands, taking his temp, listening to heart and lungs, feeling pulses.

Rebeccavet :

Is it just his food he is eating less of? Would he eat table food or treats like usual?

Rebeccavet :

I am not seeing responses from you. This chat format does not work for everyone, and for all devices. I can try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you soon.

Rebeccavet :

I am concerned you can't see what I am writing.

Customer: Thank you for answarring me Doctor. He is not getting any table foods, treets wise only dental, but he takes his dental treat and nutri cal in AM as usual.
Rebeccavet :

Why do you give him Nutrical?

Rebeccavet :

Is he eating any of his Royal Canin?

Customer: Weight wise he is between 15-16 lbs, and does not seem to loose weight.
Rebeccavet :

If he is not losing weight, he must be getting enough calories through the day.

Customer: temp is fine, i palpated every cm of his body, does not seem to have signs of pain
Rebeccavet :

At 15 pounds, he does not need much food to maintain his body weight.

Rebeccavet :

What was his temp?

Rebeccavet :

Nutrical is very calorie dense, so depending on how much you give him, he may be getting a significant number of calories from that and his dental treats.

Rebeccavet :

If you can't see his ribs, if they are not sticking out or visible, he is getting enough to eat.

Rebeccavet :

How much of the Royal Canin does he eat in a day now that his appetite is less?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Dina,
I was not seeing answers to my questions, so I will try to connect with you this way.

What was his temp?

If it is between 101 and 102, he is eating his dental treats, his Nutrical, and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Royal Canin, he is probably getting plenty of food. If he is not vomiting, not drinking water excessively, and not losing weight, he sounds like he is getting enough food, and is not sick.

Please let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are very helpfull. His temp is 101.5, he eats only one greeny dental treat per day, nutry cal was suggested by his vet long time ago, but he hets only pinky nail size amt of nutry cal at AM, he is eating Royal canine usually once or twice a day about 3/4 of a cup. I can feel his ribs on palpation

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. 3/4 of a cup of Royal Canin actually sounds like a lot to me, if he is also getting Nutrical and Greenies, which are high in calories.

I usually only use Nutrical for sick patients, or older dogs that may need some extra vitamins and minerals. But Royal Canin has all the nutrients he needs.

My dog weighs 28 pounds, and only gets 1 cup of food a day, so 1/2 to 3/4 cup should be plenty for Tishka.

You should be able to feel his ribs ( if you can't, and have to push to feel them, he would be considered to be overweight), they just should not stick out.

Please let me know what else I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize, mistype, I ment 0.3 of a cup. Do you think I should stop nutrical? He also becomes hyper around 7-8 PM alpost daily.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I do not think he needs Nutrical, myself. It could give him a "sugar high".

Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really appreciate your help. You are unbelievable. Thank you so much.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are so welcome!

Is there anything else I can help with, or answer?

Kindly rate my answer, but only when all your questions are answered.

I will check back to see how Tishka is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the bonus! So much appreciated!!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dina,
How is Tishka doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much, he is eating a bit, but i stopped all treats and nutrical
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Glad he is doing better. Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!