Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

I accidently gave my dog vectra 3D orally instead of topically.

Customer Question

I accidently gave my dog vectra 3D orally instead of topically. I took him to vet and they gave him charcoal. 1 hr later, he vomited charcoal and water. He is unsteady on his feet, however walking around and alert. Labored breathing has passed. Should I have him treated with anything else?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian. It appears that the vet you have requested is not currently online but I would like to help you with Twix today.

Vectra 3D contains an insecticide called permethrin and if given orally can cause adverse effects like those you are seeing (ie drooling, nausea, vomiting, tremoring, wobbliness, and even seizures).

Now you didn't note how long the charcoal was given post ingestion (ideally we need it in there absorbing the drug as soon as possible to limit the body's absorption) but if he is a bit wobbly then that does suggest that he did absorb at least a bit of the chemical. And while he did eventually vomit the charcoal, if it had managed to stay in his stomach for that hour, then it is likely that it would have the chance to absorb as much permethrin as it could in that time.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX options, the charcoal therapy was appropriate at the time of ingestion. If he had been showing severe neurological signs (tremoring or seizing) then I suspect his vet would have hospitalized him to treat with valium and muscle relaxants (+/- IV fluids to flush the drug from his system quicker). But with these mild signs, it is a case of keep him calm and quiet. Perhaps considering restricting him to a dimly lit, quiet part of the house to let him settle while his body breaks down and excretes the permethrin. If he does develop any further signs (less likely at this point since it sounds like he has likely hit peak effect and its now waning), then we'd have to consider hospitalization and the treatments I have noted since there won't be any comparable home treatments. But if his signs remain mild, then we'd expect them to settle in the 24-48 hours post ingestion.

Overall, it sounds like the correct approach was taken with Twix. And at this stage, his signs sound to be waning. Therefore, there isn't any further 'treatment' required, only that we'd want to keep things calm and quiet for him and we'd want to avoid overstimulating him while his nervous system is under the influence of the permethrin.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with 4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Twix was charcoaled about 1 hr post injestion. He retained the charcoal for approx 1.5 hrs. He was quiet when I left for work tonight. He always sleeps during the day with me too so quiet and dark wont be a problem. He drank from his bowl at 10 pm too. When can I expect him to start eating again? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

If he was treated with charcoal an hour after ingestion, then seeing some adverse effects from the permethrin is not unexpected here.

Just to note, we tend to have a 20-30 minute window with tablet ingestion because of the time it takes for tablet breakdown/absorption to occur. With a liquid like this, that window would be even smaller. So, in this instance, an hour of the product being in contact with the stomach would have lead to a degree of absorption. Still the charcoal would have still been indicated and thus it is good it was used. Its aim at that stage would have been to try to absorb any residual chemical and limit the intoxication. And keeping it down for a 1.5 hrs would likely have allowed it to achieve that goal (and the vomiting was likely a side effect of the permethrin that he had absorbed).

Anyway, I am glad that he can be rested and kept calm and quiet today. It is positive that he has drunk and can keep this down (since permethrin induced nausea can make this difficult). His ability to drink is more important in the short term then eating if he is very nauseous with this.

In regards to eating, I'd not be alarmed if he isn't keen at the moment since again nausea is likely putting him off his food. You can try tempting him with a small volume of a light diet [ie Rice with any of the following: boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity]. Ideally offer only a tablespoon at a time. If he eats it, then give him a 30 minute break before offering another tablespoon. The aim is to not overwhelm his nausea and avoid vomiting. If he isn't keen to eat, then I'd not push him at this stage and plan to rest his stomach for the next 8-12 hours. If you find he still isn't keen to eat after that, then you can consider treating him with an antacid to settle his stomach. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (LINK) or Zantac (LINK) . Of course, you'd want to speak to her vet first if she has any other pre-existing issues or is on any other medications.

Overall, it is a case of keeping things calm for the moment. If he can keep water down, that is a positive. If he isn't keen to eat, then you can tempt him with a small amount of light diet but if he isn't keen then do just rest his stomach at this stage. As the intoxication passes and the adverse signs settle, we typically find their appetites return. But if his doesn't do so in the next 8-12 hours, then you can consider antacid support to settle his stomach for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marsha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Twix. How is everything going?

nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Twix is wonderful! By the next morning he ran down the steps to greet me, slept all day with me, then enjoyed chicken for dinner! You were correct on the process and I appreciate the follow up! How can I send u a pic?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,

Thank you for the update and I am glad that Twix has made a full recovery.
I would love a photo of the wee lad :) To post a photo here, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

All the best,
Dr. B.