Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

shepherd mix...approx. 50 lbs..2yrs old female..has had loss

shepherd mix...approx. 50 lbs..2yrs old female..has had loss of appetite for two weeks...she nibble at food but does not eat regular portion....beginning to cough...otherwise seems ok...alert and continue with her normal exercise

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI, I'm Dr Steve

Dr. Steven Osborne :

From what you are describing, she has some vague symptoms. A reduced appetite can be caused by a low grade fever that can be due to a mild infection.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If she would have a mild respiratory infection, it could cause her to couh and have a lowered appetite.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

ANother possibility could be heartworm infection. This is due to a mosquito biting her and transmitting the baby heartwotms into the blood stream. Then they go to the heart and grow to be 4-6 inches long. THis can cause a cough and reduced appetite. THe only way to know if she has heartworm is to have a blood test done by your vet.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

When she is at the vet he can take her temperature to see if she has a fever. HE can also listen to the lungs and heart to seeif she may have a respiratory infection.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Some dogs can have mild infections that cause vague mild symptoms, but if these continue too long they can become worse. Your best option to help her wold be to take her to a vet at your earliest convenience. If she would happen to have trouble breathign or becomes lethargic, then she shoudl be seen by a vet at that time.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

There are effective treatments for heartworm infections and respiratory infections, but these are more effective the sooner they are started. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so I may receive credit for my answer. I will check tomorrow to see if you have more questions. Thanks for using just answer and good luck

Customer:

today I went over her throughly and found a ear infection left ear...is there something I can do at home..or still take her to vet.