Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my gerbil has a big lump under his neck and he refuses to

my gerbil has a big lump under his neck and he refuses to eat
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Did this lump come up suddenly or very slowly over a period of many weeks?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the lump came up slowly, we left her while we were on vacation and when we came back it was there

Hello again Sandra and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. There are two main possibilities here, one being a cancer of some kind the other being an abscess, I have seen both of these from time to time over the years by the way. The cancer would come on very slowly over a period of weeks or even months but abscesses can appear quite quickly, overnight sometimes.

2. What to do about it? : It is probably best to have your vet take a look because abscesses can be easily drained and that is usually the end of the matter, however often very little can be done for cancers unfortunately ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.