Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

I have two Pitbulls, one is female about 5 months old, her

Customer Question

I have two Pitbulls, one is female about 5 months old, her name is XXXXX XXXXX a week ago I notice redness on her neck area and it looks like a bite, then yesterday I notice another one near the same area, and today I notice another on top of her head. She's house dog, when she's outside in the yard someone is always with her. I could send you pictures if it will help to determine the cause or its identity. Other than that, she's very healthy.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for asking about Grizzy.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

When you say it looks like a bite, do you mean a bug bite, or a bite from an animal?

This is an information request, to help me answer you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr. Rebecca,

Thank you for a quick reply. I am not sure. Let me email you photos because she also have some sort of irritation under her left eye. I think that's the right word "irritation".

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Sure! You can send pictures to this site, or you can post them to the web and send me the link. You can't email me directly; the only way we can communicate is through this website.

You should be able to see a link to send pictures; many of my customers do send me pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to upload the photos but the site isn't working. I'll keep trying.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
From your description of irritation and redness, it sounds like these are bug or spider bites or stings, or an allergic reaction to something.

I would try applying some cortisone containing ointment like Cortaid to the area, two to three times a day. It will not harm, and may help.

Let me know if I can answer or help with anything else, or if you can get the pictures to send.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I will try the cortisone.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope that helps! Let me know if there is anything else.

I will check back with you to see how Grizzy is doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really wish I could show you photos, the irritation on her leg seems sensitive when touched. The ones on her neck and around the eye and top of her head are more itchy. I see her rubbing her eyes sometimes.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I wish I could see it, too. There is a way to do it; customers do send me pictures on this website, or post them on the Internet and send me the link.

This could be allergies, and Benedryl ( or Claritin, but not Claritin D) might help.

She could have something else, however. There is a condition we see in young dogs caused by microscopic mites living in the skin, and it can show up around the eyes. It is an itchy condition, and needs prescription medication. The only way to tell if dogs have mites are to look at skin cells and hair follicles under a microscope.

If the antihistamines have not helped in a few days, I would have her checked for mites.

Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating, and the bonus! Very much appreciated.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
How is Grizzy doing?