petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have an adopted Tree Walking Coonhound that I have had for

Customer Question

I have an adopted Tree Walking Coonhound that I have had for a few months. He is somewhere between 2-3 years old. I was having no problems with him today when after being in the yard for about 20 minutes he came in and vomited all of his food up. He then drank a large quantity of water. He then vomited another 4 times over the course of the next five hours...not much, but a small amount. He has walked and has pooped and peed. He is resting fine and no panting, but had some very overactive bowel sounds for about twenty minutes. After resting for some more time he has now eaten a small meal and does not appear in discomfort, but I am very worried about him.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Scooter today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you, if you don't mind.

Can you check Scooter's gums and see if they are nice and pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them?

Is this the first time he has had anything like this happen?

Is he one to get into things he shouldn't (food or non-food items)?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Scooter likes to get into things in the yard that is why we generally walk him rather than have him loose in the yard. However, I was outside with him and didn't see him get into anything.

His gums are pink and the color comes back well when I push on them.

I did give him his heart worm meds last night, but I have given them to him monthly without any problem in the past.

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

I would not be to worried if Scooter seems to be comfortable now and the vomiting has stopped. I always worry about younger dogs that are prone to eating things that there could be an obstruction, but if so, his symptoms would be expected to continue over the next 24 hours or so. In many cases of gastritis,we never do identify what was the source of the upset, but as long as it resolves it is not so critical that we do.

For now, I would fast Scooter to give his GI system a rest. Since he is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the GI signs improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean him back onto his normal food and feeding schedule. Of course, if the vomiting recurs or if he is just not acting himself, I would definitely suggest that you seek veterinary attention.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z